(RADIATOR) Radiator performance

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon May 23 21:00:47 CDT 2005

Hello Camilo -

As has already been pointed out, a single instance of Radiator is
single threaded, therefore a single instance will only ever process
one request at a time. As Jeremy rightly points out, running two
instances - one for authentication and the other for accounting is an
excellent approach (especially on a dual-processor machine). You will
invariably find that overall performance is limited by your backend
database(s) - I can't stress enough the importance of having a
skilled database administrator involved. You should set up a test bed
and do some testing of your proposed system. Also keep in mind that
you should usually have at least two Radiator hosts (primary and
secondary) and a separate high-performance backend database host.

On 24 May 2005, at 08:46, Jeremy Burton wrote:

> Even though it's single-threaded, if you are careful with your
> configuration, you could always run two instances of Radiator on a
> dual CPU machine, again assuming that there are no other
> bottlenecks and that it is Radiator that needs scaling.
>
> I know I've done this in the past and witnessed an increase in the
> number of simultaneous requests going through.
>
> Jeremy
>

> On 24/05/2005, at 4:29 AM, Dave Kitabjian wrote:
>

>> Since it's single-threaded, Radiator can handle only one
>> "concurrent" request at a time.
>>
>> And if there are no major delays from the DB, then you can handle
>> an unlimited number of requests just by adding an unlimited number
>> of Radiator processes or servers...
>>
>> If the requests truly come in concurrently, then I guess the limit
>> is affected by the size of your IP buffer. Other than that, I
>> think someone would have to test Radiator running on the hardware
>> you mention to give you an actual number...
>>
>> Dave

>>> Papota = "papa grande"
>>> Paputa = Papa Gigante ..?
>>>

>> --
>> Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radiator/
>> Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au

> intended solely for theuse of the individual or entity to whom they
> are addressed. Please notify the senderimmediately by email if you
> have received this email by mistake and delete this emailfrom your
> system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
> email are solely
> those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
> organisation.Finally, the recipient should check this email and any
> attachments for the presence ofviruses. The organisation accepts no
> liability for any damage caused by any virustransmitted by this email.

NB:

radiator)?

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au