(RADIATOR) returning attributes to a ras client when

Alex Sharaz A.Sharaz at hull.ac.uk
Fri Mar 4 09:46:20 CST 2005

Chaps,

Got a small problem here which I'm sure is quite trivial.

I'm trying to migrate all devices that perform some form of radius
authentication/accounting off our Steel Belted Radius service onto Radiator.

What I'd like to do is have radiator do everything except the actual
authentication and have that proxied off to SBR. This way, I can move all
the ras clients onto radiator and not worry about the back end database
related stuff such as creating/deleting users and password management
functions - all that can be done with the procedures we've got in place at
the moment.

At the moment, once a user is authenticated by the SBR server, it passes
back a set of attributes which are forwarded to the client.  I'd rather not
add any client specific return attributes to the SBR configuration but have
them passed back by radiator.
As an example, a foundry device   needs to have  the following 3 attributes
passed back to the client in order to place the user in a vlan identified
by "Subnet_74"
       Tunnel-Medium-Type = 802
       Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = Subnet_74
       Tunnel-Type = VLAN
 and I'm not sure how to config radiator to do this.

If I define a client to use file based authentication then yes, i can just
add the attribute types into the appropriate user entry. If however, you
are proxying the actual authentication off to something else,how can you
specify a set of given parameters such as those above.

I suppose there are 2 questions:-

1. If a user connects through a specific radius client, how can I define a
(static) set of attributes I would like returned to the client. e.g. in the
case of the fastiron mentioned above
I'd want all authenticated connections from the client have the 3
attributes defined above passed back to the client

2).As an extension to (1) how could you perform some form of  back end
database lookup so that you might say "for user U connecting through client
C return attribute set X". An example might be to drop a user into a
different vlan based upon their university status, so a student connecting
to a wired network port would have Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = Subnet_74
whereas a member of staff would have it set to Subnet_75

Below are some excerpts from my radius.cfg file for the aforementioned
Fastiron

I want to do a proxy authentication back to the SBR server but have
radiator decide what attributes to pass back to the client.

# Client
#
#
<Client 150.237.74.254>
	Secret	<the key for this device>
	Identifier fe4802
	NasType unknown
#
# Adding AddToResponse <...,..,..,> in here sends the attributes to the
proxy server
# and not back to the client.

</Client>
# proxy off to the existing SBR server
<AuthBy RADIUS>
   Identifier radHull
   Host <a.b.c.d
   Secret <secret key>
   AuthPort 1812
   AcctPort 1813
   LocalAddress d.c.b.a
# Handlers
<Handler Client-Identifier=fe4802, Realm=hull.ac.uk>
 AuthBy radHull
</Handler>

<Handler Client-Identifier=fe4802, Realm=>
 AuthBy radHull
</Handler>

<Handler Client-Identifier=fe4802>
 AuthBy radHull