(RADIATOR) Radiator and LDAP performance

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Thu Mar 3 00:29:06 CST 2005

Hello Jim, Hello Campbell -

I can confirm that the Novell eDirectory is _much_ faster than any
other LDAP server I have looked at (a limited number).

LDAP queries appeared to take on the order of a millisecond as seen
from a trace 4 debug with LogMicroseconds.

On 3 Mar 2005, at 01:17, Jim Michael wrote:

> How many users are going to be authenticating this way, and at what
> rate? Unless you have thousands of users *per minute* authenticating
> via 802.1x, then I think you're worrying too much about the hit of two
> binds to eDirectory. eDirectory is a screamer when it comes to
> performance, and I very much doubt you have a load that will bring it
> to its knees.
>
> Jim

> Hi people,
>
> I've got a working radiator config that's talking LDAP to Novell
> eDirectory. Now I'm looking at how efficient the LDAP authentication
> process is and this is where I need some advice. It looks to me that
> this is the only proper way to authenticate a user, the problem
> however is that it requires two binds per authentication request which
> will obviously have an effect on performance. It also seems to me that
> 'ServerChecksPassword' and 'HoldServerConnection' are mutually
> exclusive flags.
>
> First up Radiator needs to be authenticated against the LDAP directory
> before it can search for the user. So I have an AuthDN and
> AuthPassword set. Radiator then searches for the username with a
> custom search filter and gets the contents of the aaareply LDAP
> attribute. As Novell implement proprietary encryption for the user
> password I need to use the 'ServerChecksPassword' flag. This means
> there needs to be a second bind done on the username and password to
> confirm the correct password.
>
> So the question is is there a way to perform this authentication using
> only a single bind?
>
> Although eDirextory does support persistent connections (according to
> Novell) I can't get it working with the 'HoldServerConnection' flag.
> Should this flag work if the 'ServerChecksPassword' is set as well? As
> it's doing a bind then search then another bind to the user then it
> seems to me this can't work?? When I run a packet debug I see the two
> binds occurring but then radiator sends an unbind request. This all
> occurs over the same LDAP connection so it seems to be that when you
> set 'ServerChecksPassword' then radiator will always send and unbind
> request for the LDAP session even though 'HoldServerConnection' is
> set.
>
> See below packet capture, this is with 'HoldServerConnection' and
> 'ServerChecksPassword' set:
>
> thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Bind Request
> 146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Bind Response Success
> thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Search Request
> derefFindingBaseObj
> 146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Search ResDone Success
> thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Bind Request
> 146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Bind Response Success
> thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Unbind Request
>
> Here's my config:
>
> <Realm DEFAULT>
>         PreAuthHook file:"/opt/radiator/realmprefix.pl"
> [...]

NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our
correspondence.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au