(RADIATOR) Radiator and LDAP performance

Jim Michael JMichael at chesterfield.mo.us
Wed Mar 2 18:17:00 CST 2005

How many users are going to be authenticating this way, and at what rate? Unless you have thousands of users *per minute* authenticating via 802.1x, then I think you're worrying too much about the hit of two binds to eDirectory. eDirectory is a screamer when it comes to performance, and I very much doubt you have a load that will bring it to its knees.

Jim

>>> "Campbell Simpson" <Campbell.Simpson2 at telecom.co.nz> 3/2/2005 5:18 PM >>>
Hi people,

I've got a working radiator config that's talking LDAP to Novell eDirectory. Now I'm looking at how efficient the LDAP authentication process is and this is where I need some advice. It looks to me that this is the only proper way to authenticate a user, the problem however is that it requires two binds per authentication request which will obviously have an effect on performance. It also seems to me that 'ServerChecksPassword' and 'HoldServerConnection' are mutually exclusive flags.

First up Radiator needs to be authenticated against the LDAP directory before it can search for the user. So I have an AuthDN and AuthPassword set. Radiator then searches for the username with a custom search filter and gets the contents of the aaareply LDAP attribute. As Novell implement proprietary encryption for the user password I need to use the 'ServerChecksPassword' flag. This means there needs to be a second bind done on the username and password to confirm the correct password.

So the question is is there a way to perform this authentication using only a single bind?

Although eDirextory does support persistent connections (according to Novell) I can't get it working with the 'HoldServerConnection' flag. Should this flag work if the 'ServerChecksPassword' is set as well? As it's doing a bind then search then another bind to the user then it seems to me this can't work?? When I run a packet debug I see the two binds occurring but then radiator sends an unbind request. This all occurs over the same LDAP connection so it seems to be that when you set 'ServerChecksPassword' then radiator will always send and unbind request for the LDAP session even though 'HoldServerConnection' is set.

See below packet capture, this is with 'HoldServerConnection' and 'ServerChecksPassword' set:

thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Bind Request
146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Bind Response Success
thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Search Request derefFindingBaseObj
146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Search ResDone Success
thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Bind Request
146.171.39.80 -> thr2         LDAP R port=33189 Bind Response Success
thr2 -> 146.171.39.80 LDAP C port=33189 Unbind Request

Here's my config:

<Realm DEFAULT>
        PreAuthHook file:"/opt/radiator/realmprefix.pl"
        RewriteUsername s/\@ip\w\./\@/
        AcctLogFileName %L/accounting.%R
        WtmpFileName %L/wtmp.%R
        PasswordLogFileName %L/auth.%R

        <AuthBy LDAP2>
                Host    146.171.39.80
                Port    389
#                HoldServerConnection
                ServerChecksPassword
                SearchFilter (&(groupMembership=cn=%{GlobalVar:access},ou=servic
es,ou=THR,ou=Applications,ou=spec,ou=customers,ou=Views,o=META) (uid=%U))
                BaseDN  cn=%U,ou=%R,ou=external,ou=customers,ou=Views,o=META
                Scope   base
                AuthDN  cn=THRRadius,o=META
                AuthPassword    xxxx
                AuthAttrDef     aaareply,GENERIC,reply
                Version 3
                Debug 255
                NoDefault

                # This is the LDAP attribute to match the radius user name
                UsernameAttr   uid
                AddToReply  Framed-Protocol = PPP,Service-Type = Framed,NAS-Port
-Type=%{NAS-Port-Type},NAS-IP-Address=%{NAS-IP-Address}

        </AuthBy>
</Realm>

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Campbell

"This communication, including any attachments, is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read
it - please contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not
copy or use any part of this communication or disclose
anything about it. Thank you. Please note that this
communication does not designate an information system for
 the purposes of the Electronic Transactions Act 2002."

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au