(RADIATOR) WLAN Auth and OS X

Jeff Wolfe wolfe at ems.psu.edu
Tue Mar 1 15:43:25 CST 2005

Urs Landis wrote:
> Hi Hugh
>
> NOW I HAVE A PROBLEM!!!
>
> After all the tests in the last days, it seems that i can't solve my
> problem.
> 1. OS X LDAP (and Active Directory) don't accept cleartext passwords
> (from radiator)
> 2. Radiator can't ServerChecksPassword with TTLS, TLS, PEAP, LEAP, ...
> 3. PAP is the only one that should work with ServerChecksPassword, but
> PAP isn't supported by Mac OS X nor by Windows XP
>
> And now????

Hi Urs,

We have radiator configured to authenticate wireless (and wired) 802.1x
clients to a Kerberos 5 realm using Radiator and EAP-TTLS with PAP. I
don't know a lot about LDAP, but it would seem to me that TTLS/PAP
should work with passwords in LDAP, too.

You can use TTLS/PAP with OSX "out of the box" to authenticate where you
need the cleartext password from the client.

On the windows side, things are a little more unclear.
You might be able to use the "secureW2.com" client for free if you
qualify for their program. Also, most driver manufacturers are including
TTLS/PAP supplicants with their drivers now.

I've tested and used the latest driver sets from Dell (trumobile)
Linksys and Intel (Centrino) so far and they can be configured to work.
The downside is that each configuration process is different and depends
on the manufacturer's drivers. In some cases, the process even changes
substantially between driver versions!

We do this in production with Cisco APs. I've tested Linksys, Apple and
several other manufacturers and they all work just fine.

-JEff

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au