(RADIATOR) Re: High Volume RADIUS (Modified by Hugh Irvine)

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Jan 26 17:27:01 CST 2005

I'm not sure that this made it to the list, so I am resending.

Apologies for duplicates.

Hello Everyone -

There have been a number of discussions about rate limiting RADIUS
requests on the list and as you know I have never been happy with the
idea of "rate limiting" per se. In thinking about it yesterday I had a
chat with Mike about a simple alternative approach which is outlined
below.

Obviously additional reply attributes could be returned by the AuthBy
INTERNAL, to limit access to a "walled garden" for example until the
re-authentication took place. The "walled garden" could take any web
access to an information page indicating "Service temporarily
unavailable ..." or whatever.

We would be very interested in hearing what people think about the
approach and also hearing about operational experience.

Please let us know how you get on.

Forwarded mail from Mike <mikem at open.com.au>:

Hello all,

Interesting idea from Hugh.

Here is a sample implementation. If it sees more than 100 requests in a
second, the surplus will be ACCEPTed with a Session-Timeout randomly
selected
between 1 and 11 seconds, at which time it should re-authenticate.

This makes it a bit like the random backoff implemented in some
media-access
protocols. If you got a large number of requests in one seconds, they
would
effectivley be deferred and the real authenticaitons smeared out into
the
following 10 seconds.

Some experimentation will be required to determine operational values
for the
number of requests per second threshold and the random backoff deferral
period.

Cheers.

Mike

<Realm DEFAULT>
        AuthByPolicy ContinueWhileIgnore
        # This hook limits how many requests per
        # second will be passed on to the
        # AuthBy RADIUS. The surplus will be
        # ACCEPTed with a Session-Timeout randomly
        # selected between 1 and 11 seconds, at
        # which time the client should re-authenticate.
        <AuthBy INTERNAL>
	       RequestHook sub {my $time = time;\
		if ($time == $main::last_throttle_time) \
		{ if (++$main::throttle_count > 100)\
		  {\
		    $_[0]->{rp}->add_attr('Session-Timeout', int(rand(10) + 1));\
		    return ($main::ACCEPT, 'Conditional flood control');\
		  }\
		}\
		else\
		{    $main::throttle_count = 0;\
		}\
		$main::last_throttle_time = $time;\
		return ($main::IGNORE, 'Continue to proxy');\
	      }
        </AuthBy>

	<AuthBy RADIUS>
		# Your info here:
		Host localhost
		AuthPort 1647
		AcctPort 1648
	</AuthBy>
</Realm>

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au
9 Bulbul Place Currumbin Waters QLD 4223 Australia
http://www.open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au

NB:

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au