(RADIATOR) Secure reliable Radius?

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Wed Feb 2 00:36:51 CST 2005

Hi All,

we are thinking here about a new idea for Radiator, and wondering if anyone
else finds it interesting and perhaps useful.

We are thinking of a new AuthBy RELIABLERADIUS which would open a TCP
connection to a remote Radiator and send Radius packets over a TCP transport
instead of UDP. The remote Radiator would have a Server RELIABLERADIUS to
listen for such requests.

Clearly, such a TCP connection could also be secured with SSL or TLS, using
client and/or server certificates to authenticate each end and encrypt the
Radius traffic too.

The benefits of this would be:

1. No more lost packets
2. High security encryption of Radius traffic
3. mutual authentication of each end of the tcp transport.

Obviously this provides some of the features that are part of Diameter, and
our forthcoming raDiameter product will include these too, but in the
meantime....

anyone interested?

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au