(RADIATOR) Monitoring Tools

Bret Jordan bret.jordan at utah.edu
Mon Sep 27 13:15:11 CDT 2004

Dave, et all,

The tools as a framework is being written to be very flexible, you can
build groups and have hosts inside the group and then you can define
values globally, at the group level, or at the host level (where group
values override the global just for that group and any hosts below it
and the host values override the global and group values just for that
host).   You can even do an IdenticalClients directive like in Radiator :)

As Terry said, he submitted a patch that allows you to hook a shell
script to get the data, so if your equipment does not support SNMP you
can use a custom shell script and as long as the shell script returns a
number, the program will take that in and process it.

We have in the documentation the OIDs for Cisco and Proxim AP2000s.  As
soon as we can figure out the OIDs for the Foundry/HP APs we will add
that as well to the documentation.  And if anyone knows of another OID
from vendor X that will give you similar data, let me know and I will
add it to the documentation.

The next tool, an environmental stats graphing tool, should be done today.

Bret

Terry Simons wrote:

> There is no standard SNMP OID to grab these statistics, so each AP is
> going to have a different OID.
>
> Additionally,  some devices do not support any OID that provides this
> data, so the tools can be used with an external script that will fake
> the data for you by gathering it via some other means and skipping the
> SNMP portion of the scripts.
>
> I have a script that gathers data for Trapeze equipment if anyone is
> interested, I suppose that we should roll it back into Bret's work. ;-)
>
> We also have the OID for Cisco 1200 series APs, which should get rolled
> back into the documentation, if nothing else.  (So, Cisco 1200, AP 2000,
> Trapeze).  It should be trivial to add others.
>
> Overall it works quite well thanks Bret.  Three Cheers. ;-)
>
> - Terry
>
> On Sep 27, 2004, at 9:26 AM, Dave Kitabjian wrote:
>
>> Bret, this sounds and looks great.
>>
>> The question I have is, is there anything about this which is particular
>> to WAPs? In other words, wouldn't it (or couldn't it) work with any NAS?
>> Is the OID different?
>>
>> If it could, we'd use it :)
>>
>> Dave

>>> 1) A client/server piece so that you can share "totals" with some one

             jordan at coe.utah.edu

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au