(RADIATOR) Feature Request: <AuthBy IMAPS>

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Wed Nov 10 15:42:39 CST 2004

Hello Charly,

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 21:56, Karl Gaissmaier wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike McCauley wrote:
> > Hello Charly,
> >
> > On Wednesday 10 November 2004 03:44, Karl Gaissmaier wrote:
> >>Hi Mike or Hugh and all radiator lovers,
> >>
> >>I'd like to see <AuthBy IMAPS> since if the radiator
> >>isn't running on the same machine as the imap server
> >>this is, as all of us knows, very insecure. Most of us
> >>will now longer support IMAP on Port 143 unencrypted.
> >>
> >>The used CPAN module Mail::IMAPClient is not out of the
> >>box usable with SSL. I think for our aims just to use
> >>IMAP for authentication the CPAN module Net::IMAP::Simple
> >>and Net::IMAP::Simple::SSL would be a better choice.
> >>
> >>Mike, will you accept this feature request?
> >
> > Sounds like a reasonably simple and useful project, but we have a number
> > of other pressing developments happening right now, including Diameter,
> > so we would not be able to get to it soon.
>
> hmm, perhaps I'll find time during christmas to patch
> radiator. If this will happen I'll send the patch to
> you. When the quality of the patch fulfills your requirements
> it would be nice to see this in one of the next releases.

We would be happy to do that.

Actually, I had a look at the Net::IMAP::Simple and Net::IMAP::Simple::SSL
modules yesterday. If AuthIMAP used them, some features would be lost, such
as Debug and Timeout, but I note that Mail::IMAPClient has a feature that
allows the socket to be replaced with, say, an SSL socket, so that may be an
alternative way to go.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au