(RADIATOR) Need a couple of suggestions...

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue May 11 05:54:39 CDT 2004

Hello Keith,

On Tue, 11 May 2004 05:04 pm, Keith Dornbusch wrote:
> I am running Radiator 3.9 and need some direction with the following.
>
> 1.) As I understand it <SessionDatabase SQL> which I am using will
> contain a snapshot of the current users online.

Correct.

> Does anyone know a good
> method for collecting this information to perform the following.
>
> 1a.) Chart max ports used by a Realm (hourly, daily and monthly.)
> 1b.) Max Users online (hourly, daily, monthly)
>
> You get the idea, I want to be able to chart as many stats as I can in
> real-time and show over time.
> I am guessing I could sample the database every 1 or x minutes and store
> the values for each realm.  That just seems like a lot of overhead.

I think thats the only way to do it (without adding lots of new code to
Radiator, and in any case, I dont think thats where it should belong).

Naturally there could be an impact on perfornce of the databse, especially if
the stats gathering involved looking at a sizeable accounting details table.

> 2.) Is there a way to send a restart command to Radiator not running as
> a service on a Windows 2000 server from a VB program.  If so can someone
> send me some sample code?

Windows does not support the types of Unix signals that are usually used to do
this type of thing with HUP.

You can trigger a restart using SNMP to set OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.67.1.1.1.1.4 to 2

It might be possible to code a PreClientHook to look for Status-Server
requests with a particular attribaute and use that to set $main::restart to
1; Then you could trigger a restart with a Status-Server sent by radpwtst

> 3.) Is there a way to set a variable base on the Realm name before any
> rewrite like %W but strip the Dot(s) from it?  I am using MySQL for a
> client and it does not allow "." in a table name.  This would and does
> make config's much smaller when using MS SQL.

Hmmm, you might be able to use the RewriteFunction to do some tricky
manipulation of the user name to suit?

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au