(RADIATOR) Re: RADIUS IPASS accounting

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Mar 22 02:41:08 CST 2004

Hello Paul -

Comments below.

On 22 Mar 2004, at 16:35, Paul Wojcieszak wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if you guys could give me a quick pointer in regards to
> a certain problem...

I'll try.

> Here at Deakin, we are running IPass Roamserver 5.0 which connects to
> our
> local Radiator Radius server(3.7.1) for authentication and storing of
> accounting..

Understood.

> Problem 1:
>

> """""
>  Mar 19 11:06:18 2004: ERR: Attribute number 10 (vendor 3309) is not
> defined in your dictionary
> Fri Mar 19 11:06:20 2004: WARNING: Malformed request packet: Vendor
> 3309 Attribute 6 with length : ignored
> """"
>
> Do I just define this as a VENDORATTR in the dictionary file?
> as in :
> VENDORATTR   3309  some-name      10    String   ??
>
> At the moment its causing the accounting packet not being logged into
> the
> database....

There are already some Nomadix attributes in the Radiator 3.9
dictionary, although not this one.

Until you find out what it is you can add these (it appears however
that attribute 6 is broken):

VENDORATTR      3309    Nomadix-Bogus-6           6         string
VENDORATTR      3309    Nomadix-Bogus-10         10       string

Here is where you find the enterprise numbers:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers

And here is the entry for 3309:

3309
   Nomadix
     Ken Caswell
       ken at nomadix.com

> Problem 2:
>

> Certain Attributes which are sent by the IPASS Roamserver to the
> Radius server
> are not defined in the dictionary file.
>
> eg:(extract from roamserver logs)
> """""
> 2004-03-08
> 12:36:25.556,216.239.110.125:
> 59,4,acct_request,RSAcctReqHandler,handleRequest,session_time = 0,
>
> 2004-03-08
> 12:36:25.556,216.239.110.125:
> 59,4,acct_request,RSAcctReqHandler,handleRequest,auth_customer_id =
> 1024383,
> """"
>
> The "session_time" seems to get translated as "Acct-Session-Time,
> however "auth_customer_id" seems to be ignored by the Radiator Server..
> [Even at log level 5, I cannot find any mention of it - could be my
> configuration too though)...

You will need to decode the trace 5 by hand to see what
"auth_customer_id" actually is.

> Is there any way, I could somehow get Radiator Radius to recognize this
> attribute so that I can store it in the database..??  Is it as simple
> as definiting it as another attribute in the dictionary file?

It should be - yes.

> Finally:
>
> Perhaps there is a newer version of Radiator Radius with larger
> support for IPASS accounting?

The latest version is Radiator 3.9.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au