(RADIATOR) postcard from South Africa

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Jun 16 07:02:51 CDT 2004

Hello Everyone -

Well, it has been some little time since my last postcard, but the wait
has been worth it.

For the last ten days I have been in Johannesburg doing a job here for
one of the local mobile operators, and it has been a very interesting
trip. It is about a 16 hour plane ride from Melbourne to Johannesburg,
but the two cities are on about the same southern latitude so the
weather is very similar (although the time zone induced jet lag is
still a problem - there is an 8 hour time difference).

South Africa is a remarkable place, with the end of apartheit some 10
years ago being a turning point of monumental proportions. Everyone I
have spoken to (white and black) has said the same thing - that the
last 10 years have been a miracle! There are still problems to overcome
as there are everywhere, but life here is definitely on the improve.

Unfortunately I have not had time to do much in the way of tourism, but
I have enjoyed myself nevertheless.

I have managed to play several rounds of golf and I have spent the last
weekend at a well-known tourist destination called Sun City which is a
two hour drive from Johannesburg. Sun City is famous for being in the
middle of a big game reserve, and is also famous amongst golfers for
the end of season Sun City Million Dollar Invitational Tournament which
is played on the Gary Player Country Club Course. The resort has two
courses - the Lost City Golf Course and the Gary Player Course. The
Lost City course has an interesting water hazard on the 13th hole - it
really is a hazard because it is full of crocodiles! Not surprisingly
balls are truly lost here (it is forbidden to enter the hazard to
retrieve them)! There is an extensive web site here: www.suncity.co.za.

Hopefully I will be able to come back again soon - next time with some
time off for site-seeing.

All the best from Africa!

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au