(RADIATOR) MySQL connections

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Jul 19 20:10:21 CDT 2004

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Fred Leeflang wrote:

> Hi Hugh,
>
> Well the problem is the following, we've observed this before:
>
> - A connection gets set up, our Nokia firewall creates a session
> - over the weekend or so, when there's little activity, the Nokia
>   times out the idle session. Neither client nor server get proper
>   notification of that, in other words, both still think the TCP
>   connection exists.
> - Then on monday, activity picks up, but since it's not a *new*
>   connection the Nokia will not create a new session and discard
>   any packets sent on that connection.
>
> Either way, I've fixed the problem by adjusting MySQL's
> interactive_timeout value to be lower than the Nokia's,
> not a very good solution but then at least MySQL will
> properly disconnect so radiator will know the socket has
> disconnected.

Your problem is almost certainly that the Nokia is not "caching" the
connection state for TCP sessions as long as the default keepalive (2
hours IIRC) time.  You can fix this on the Nokia by raising the
appropriate value or come up with a better than current workaround by
tuning the keepalive time on your radius server (if it will let you).

I ran into a similar problem (different protocol) just recently with
someone's Sonicwall firewall and did the tcp keepalive tuning workaround.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au