(RADIATOR) config problem

Ivo Tzvetkov itzvet2 at sus.mcgill.ca
Wed Sep 17 22:02:02 CDT 2003

Hello,

I am having a problem setting up Radiator at work and I'm hoping you can
help me.

We are setting up a RADIUS server on a machine running RedHat 9.0 with
Perl 5.8.0 using Radiator-Demo-3.6-1 (config and log extracts listed at
the bottom).

The server is used to authenticate a Cisco NAS. Authentication succeeds
for the default user mikem/fred, and we are currently trying to set up
handler clauses so that we can have different authentication methods based
on the IP of the incoming NAS.

However, setting up handlers as per the configuration below results in the
first handler always being picked irrespective of the accepted IP (ie. NASes
with non-matching IPs still get handled by it). The reason for this,
according to the logs, seems to be that there is an error in the given
"attribute=value" pair, but it is set up as specified in the documentation
(as well as many examples on google), and the dictionary seems load fine.

The same error occurs with all attributes, not just IPs, and it would appear
to be some sort of parse error of the configuration. We are aware of some
RedHat9 / Perl issues with UTF-8, but the environment variables have been
reconfigured accordingly and these issues are resolved, so that would lead
us to believe that it's an error with radiator itself.

I would appreciate your comments or help.

Regards,
 -Ivo

running radius.cfg config:
LogDir          /var/log/radius
DbDir           /etc/radiator
DictionaryFile  /etc/radiator/dictionary
AuthPort        1812
AcctPort        1813
Trace           5

<Client DEFAULT>
        Secret  mysecret
</Client>

<Handler NAS-IP-Address=123.123.123.123>
        <AuthBy FILE>
	    Filename %D/users
        </AuthBy>
</Handler>

<Handler>
        #Empty handler to reject non-matching cases
</Handler>

logfile after radiator server restart:
Wed Sep 17 17:02:41 2003: NOTICE: SIGTERM received: stopping
Wed Sep 17 17:02:42 2003: ERR: Bad attribute=value pair: NAS-IP-Address=123.123.123.123
Wed Sep 17 17:02:42 2003: DEBUG: Finished reading configuration file '/etc/radiator/radius.cfg'
Wed Sep 17 17:02:42 2003: DEBUG: Reading dictionary file '/etc/radiator/dictionary'
Wed Sep 17 17:02:43 2003: DEBUG: Creating authentication port 0.0.0.0:1812
Wed Sep 17 17:02:43 2003: DEBUG: Creating accounting port 0.0.0.0:1813
Wed Sep 17 17:02:43 2003: NOTICE: Server started: Radiator 3.6 on promien (EVALUATION)
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au