(RADIATOR) 802.1x and vlan assignment

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Wed Sep 17 04:08:24 CDT 2003

Hugh Irvine wrote:

> As to the Windows problem, I am afraid I don't have an answer for you,
> although it sounds like there is a configuration problem with either
> the network settings or with the client software.

> Perhaps there is someone on the list who knows more about Windows than
> I do?

I already answered Dordaneh directly, but maybe it's usefull for others
what my experience is with PEAP: the implementation of Microsoft asks
the users' identity the first time PEAP is used (and only if
"Automatically use my Windows logon name and password" is disabled).
This username and password combination is stored, and never asked again
(like with the TLS identity), unless there is an "Access-Reject" from
the RADIUS server.
As soon as the request is /ignored/ (because of a non-existing realm for
example) windows does not prompt the user for new credentials.

Paul

P.S. This is one of the reasons we did not choose PEAP but TTLS instead:
imagine you want to change your username, and/or need to verify
credentials to a backend where passwords are not stored in plain-text...
or you do not want to store your password at all. And then which PEAP
implementation do you choose ;-)
For the platforms where Microsoft's PEAP can be used there is also
support for Alfa & Ariss' SecureW2. (SURFnet asked Alfa & Ariss to make
this module since there was no good TTLS implementation, and it's even
freeware now - worth trying.)

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au