(RADIATOR) Discard queries based on attribute values

Joao Pedro Goncalves joaop at co.sapo.pt
Tue Sep 16 07:57:46 CDT 2003

We have the same problem, and Radiator handles quite well the load.
However, the RAS equipment was already showing heavy loads because
of those clients.

What we did to handle the load was to actually *accept* the clients,
but with an ACL denying service.

This way they get configured, stop making requests but are not
authorized
to go anywhere.

Hope this helps,
Joao Pedro Goncalves
Portugal Telecom

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 13:09, Robert Blayzor wrote:
> I'm having a problem on our RADIUS cluster with PPPoE clients being way to
> aggressive.  Sometimes when a user is shut off, the PVC in the DSL network
> isn't turned down for some time and it leaves aggressive PPPoE clients
> trying to connect at a sometimes ungodly rate. (dozens per minute).  This
> litters our logs and creates a lot of unnecessary IO's to the backend, etc.
>
> I'm wondering what the best practice is to be able to discard these requests
> before they even go to any handler, and to dump the packet/request
> completely without even logging it.  Well not discard these, but send back
> an instant NAK to the NAS...
>
> I assume some PreHandlerHook (or PreClientHook) would be needed, but is
> there an example how to?  ie:  Say I have a list of usernames in a file that
> I want to discard on..
>
> --
> Robert Blayzor, BOFH
> INOC, LLC
> rblayzor at inoc.net
> PGP: http://www.inoc.net/~dev/
> Key fingerprint = A445 7D1E 3D4F A4EF 6875  21BB 1BAA 10FE 5748 CFE9
>
> Stock item: We shipped it once before, and we can do it again, probably.

João Pedro Gonçalves
http://www.sapo.pt/ - Portugal Online

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au