(RADIATOR) Mac OS X/PEAP Issues - PEAPv0 vs PEAPv1

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 02:31:01 CST 2003

I think I may have finally deciphered the Mac OS X PEAP riddle (but I
still think people should use TTLS->PAP 8-)

After digging a little bit deeper it seems as though Apple may only
support PEAPv1->GTC.

They also support PEAPv0->MD5-Challenge and PEAPv0->MSCHAPv2.  (I have
tested both of these... and they work with Radiator).

Can someone tell me how Windows XP SP1 handles PEAPv1?  Is it actually
using something like "PEAPv1 w/MSCHAPv2", or does Windows indicate that
it would prefer PEAPv0?

I have submitted a bug to Apple regarding the inability authenticate to
Radiator when PEAPv1 is the authentication type... so maybe this will
get fixed.  I'll keep the list informed if I get any useful reports
back from Apple.

PEAP is an ugly beast.  :-)

Since this question comes up quite a bit, I might as well re-state a
common problem with PEAP:

PEAP requires clear-text or reversibly encrypted passwords on the
server side, which is a bit of a security concern.  Without clear-text
or reversible passwords, your PEAP authentications will fail.

Although it has been mentioned before, it can't hurt to re-state that
there is a *FREE* TTLS->PAP plugin for Windows 2k SP4/XP
(http://www.alfa-ariss.com) that provides TTLS functionality for
Windows XP (it ties right into WZC too, and has none of the GINA
problems that other supplicants have), and of course Mac OS X Panther
supports TTLS->PAP as well... (And for those Linux users, check out
http://www.open1x.org)

Terry Simons
Network and Laptop Support
Marriott Library, University of Utah