how to handle double accounting

Utku Er erutku at netone.net.tr
Thu Mar 13 03:18:28 CST 2003

Hello,

We have lots of double accounting coming from our NASes to Radiator. I know this is the normal procedure: NAS sends ACCT packet to radius. If NAS cannot get an ACK from radius it tries to resend the Accounting packet only altering the "Acct-Delay-Time". I do not know the reason why this is happening to me a lot.

When these ACCT packets gets to radius its written to acct database two or three times or even more. I have two questions:

1- can you image what may be the cause? I check: there is no packet loss or loss of connectivity between the radius and the nas.

2- how can you handle this when processing your accouting data. These account data have only timestamp and acct-delay-time different... The acctsessionid and the other fields are the same. When processing accounting, you cannot simply eliminate all the stop records from the acct database because different NASses (even a NAS) can send the same accounting session id in time...

any ideas?

Utku.