(RADIATOR) radiator server under high load problem

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Tue Jul 22 06:25:29 CDT 2003

Hello Steve -

Thanks for your mail - this topic comes up fairly frequently on the
list.

I don't really have enough information to give you definitive answers,
but in my experience performance problems are almost always due to
back-end services such as SQL databases and/or LDAP servers. I suggest
you use the LogMicroseconds parameter in your logging (requires
Time-HiRes from CPAN) so you can see exactly how much time is being
used for each processing step. You can also use our companion product
"Radar" to connect to a running Radiator instance which will give you a
wide range of statistics together with fine-grained debugging and
logging facilities. (BTW - you can also connect to the same Monitor
port that supports Radar and issue commands manually, but I recommend
Radar).

You can also run two instances of Radiator - one for authentication and
one for accounting.

It may also be that you are seeing a problem with radius "Identifiers"
when doing a lot of proxying, and if this is the case I recommend
upgrading to the latest Radiator 3.6 (plus patches) and using the
"UseExtendedIds" parameter in the AuthBy RADIUS clauses.

If you have any further questions, please send me a copy of the
Radiator configuration file (no secrets) and an example trace 4 or 5
debug with LogMicroseconds turned on and I will take a look.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au