(RADIATOR) radiator server under high load problem

Steve Wilson radiator at swsystem.yorks.com
Tue Jul 22 05:37:31 CDT 2003

Hi,

We are currently in the process of migrating about 5 icradius servers into 1
system, we are currently at the stage where everything (about 10 NAS's) use
our a central radiator server to authenticate, this then sends the request
to the correct icradius server based on the realm. As this is under testing
I'm currently running radiator at debug level 5 to be able to diagnose any
problems immediately. A serious problem arose overnight where this morning
there were approx 2000 users all trying to authenticate at the same time.
This left the machine under high load and it was then discovered that
radiator was no seeing the return radius accept packets, but tcpdump saw
them returning to the machine.

What I need to know is what can be upgraded/improved to allow heavy
debugging while users are rapidly connecting, the current machine spec is
2x2G Pentium III ( 256k L2 cache ),1G RAM, 36G raid5 (adaptec i2o).
This machine is running linux (kernel 2.4.19-16mdksecure SMP) and version
3.3.1-1 rpm version of Radiator.

Any advice appreciated ;)

In the future the 5 "backend" radius servers will turn into ldap auths, is
this the best option ? Everything will be doubled so we have redundancy too.

Regards

Steve Wilson

Senior Systems Administrator
Legend Internet Ltd.