on "good manners" and profitting from open source.... (was re: [Fwd: Re: (RADIATOR) Adding an attribute "Post Handler"])

Mariano Absatz radiator at lists.com.ar
Fri Jan 24 07:32:29 CST 2003

Hi,

FWIW, and not trying to start a flame war here, I'd like to comment on this
message.

Brian,

I didn't read a book on good manners, although I think _I_ am not especially
bad mannered. I _do_ know a lot about internet mailing lists, especially
technical support mailing lists. Either for paid, unpaid, open, or close
source software (and then some...).

I _do_ know quite something about netiquette and e-mail... and know that it
is considered unpolite (or "bad manners") to send messages to a tech support
mailing list without browsing the archives before, so as to know the
standards of interaction in the list.

I've been using Radiator, configuring it for large customers, developing
systems that use it, and giving support about it for two and a half year. I
am subscribed to the list since before we bought it, I just searched through
my radiator list folder and found a couple dozens of messages from Hugh
asking someone which company had paid for the copy of Radiator, so it's
customary of the list and, hence, I wouldn't consider it "bad manners".

OTOH, regarding the way in which Radiator is sold, distributed and supported,
I can only state that I envy OSC for being able to profit (or at least
survive, I don't know a thing about how healthy the company is) in such a
clever way from open software, and I envy Hugh and Mike for working there.

Radiator is open source or free source (with free as in freedom, not "for
$0") since it's distributed with full source code, very well documented and
the code is quite clean and understandable (I even fiddled with it and
modified a couple of things, and I'm quite far from being a perl wizard).

The price is quite reasonable and includes perpetual software updates and
free mailing list support.

The documentation is great and the free (as in "for $0") support customers
receive on the mailing list is way better than ANY customer support I'v ever
seen in the industry, paid or unpaid, for paid or unpaid software or
hadware... go find out how much big companies (Oracle, Informix, Microsoft)
charge for support contracts, and then (if you have the resources), pay for
it and see if it is half as good as the mailing list support Hugh and Mike
provide.

More than once I found a problem on the software, or asked for a feature and
I had a patch with the bug-fix or the feature in my mailbox in less than a
day (considering I'm in the other side of the world and Mike and Hugh sleep
while I work and vice-versa).

First time we bought Radiator, as we had to give personalized 7x24 support to
a large ISP for it, we bought the unlimited e-mail support contract, just in
case.

Anyway, for any problem or doubt I had, I started (as usual) with the mailing
list... the net result was that I never, ever, had to use the paid support,
since the free support is top noch.

Now, Radiator is distributed with FULL-SOURCE, no encrypted parts (except in
the "free demo"), no serialization and no shit that would upset a legit
customer.

Nothing, except legality, ethics and shame, prevents me from downloaded my
licensed unpersonalized copy and re-sell it, re-distribute it or pirate it in
any way. Nothing but good faith prevents me from using my 2-7 servers copy in
2,000 servers.

So what anti-piracy scheme does OSC use? they plain check that the domain for
the e-mail address of someone asking questions who doesn't seem to be testing
the free demo, corresponds to one of the copies the sold at one time in the
past.

If they can't match it, they simply ask the user... let's say Radiator's anti-
piracy mechanism only disables the free e-mail list support. If the automatic
check fails, you can enable it with a simple mail message (the software
itself, however, is free from anti-piracy nonsense).

--
Mariano Absatz
El Baby

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au