(RADIATOR) Idea for an app...

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue Jan 7 03:41:23 CST 2003

Hello Anton,

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:33, Anton Krall wrote:
> Well. For the auth and page redirect part, Im very interested.
>
> I have search for some software for this and havent been able to find
> something I like so far.
>
> We need some software for hotspots (wire or wireless) that when a user
> plugs in, dhcp will assign an IP and then when the user opens up a ANY
> web page, he will be asked for a username or code, and upon successful
> auth, he will be granted access to the Internet for X amount of
> minutes.. After that.. Internet is closed again and he has to insert
> another username, code or buy more minutes..
>
> Sounds like the idea Mike is working on?

Its not precisely the same thing, but yours is an interesting idea.

I guess it would act like an http proxy, and would authenticate each
connection from a client, and measure the total traffic delivered to that
client. I know squid can be made to do radius auth, but not accounting, and
certainly not volume limits based on radius reply attribute. So perhaps this
would be a front-end to a http proxy?

Its hard to see how this could be made to work for other than HTTP, though.
Would your custoemrs need to access other than http (port 80?). Port 443
https comes to mind?

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au