Fwd: (RADIATOR) PEAP and Unix crypt passwords?

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Wed Feb 26 16:22:36 CST 2003

Hello all,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:29 am, Hugh Irvine wrote:
> Mikey -
>
> I would like to know the answer to this too.
>
> cheers
>
> Hugh
>
> Begin forwarded message:
> > From: John McFadden <dasjlm at uwo.ca>
> > Date: Thu Feb 27, 2003  07:38:41 Australia/Melbourne
> > To: radiator at open.com.au
> > Subject: (RADIATOR) PEAP and Unix crypt passwords?
> >
> > I'm starting to look at how to set up Radiator to support PEAP and our
> > Nescape LDAP server.
> > I just wondering if I'm going to run into the same issue as I did with
> > PPTP and LDAP.
> >
> > Can I use PAP over PEAP so I can use plain text passwords against by
> > Unix crypt passwords
> > or does PEAP force me to use MS-CHAP which means I need plain text of
> > MD4 passwords in
> > my LDAP server?

This is really a question about clients, but I can tell you this:

The PEAP supporting clients that I know of (Windows XP and 2000) currently
only support MSCHAPV2, which requires a plaintext password available to
Radiator in the user database.

I dont know that any client supports PAP over PEAP, but if you can find a
client that will do that, it _should_ be compatible with non-plaintext
passwords in the user database. Caution: we have not tested this here.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au