(RADIATOR) Rodopi & Radiator

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Thu Feb 6 18:49:05 CST 2003

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the summary.

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:08 am, Tim Jung wrote:
> Ok I called a buddy of mine who is more of an Microsoft dude that I am. He
> is an MSCE and MSCD. We confirmed that SQL is getting the command but it
> appears that either MS-SQL is waiting for some additional command or
> something before it starts the actual query, since it shows the query in
> lists of tasks but it never ends or starts or whatever.

OK, so the acess and permissions issue seems to be solved?

> Also I found out that Radiator does one of the strangest/poorest things I
> have ever seen in working with databases. Radiator depends on the default
> database that the login/account happens to be set to use. So when I kept
> getting unknown or missing stored procedure for the new "linux" account and
> the "sa" and all the other non-"rodopi" accounts it because those accounts
> didn't have their default database set to "AbacBill". When I set the
> default database on the "linux" account to "AbacBill" it too then started
> to hang and cause Radiator to appear to lock up.
>
> Also all users who have any "public" access to the "AbacBill" database have
> permissions to execute the stored procedures of "Interface_VircomUsers" and
> "Interface_VircomDetails" which are the only 2 procedures that Radiator
> uses in Rodopi. Also by default any owner of a database automatically has
> FULL access to the database the account owns. There would never be a
> permissions/security issue with a database and that database owner.
>
> I have confirmed that it appears that the DBD::Sybase stuff and FreeTDS
> stuff is working. It does send the login and password to the MS-SQL server
> correctly. It does send the request for the stored procedure to the MS-SQL
> server, but nothing appears to be happening after that for whatever reason.
> I show that MS-SQL does lock the database "AbacBill" and shows it got the
> command, but nothing happens. It also appears that Radiator doesn't
> time-out or detect a problem thus appears to hang forever.

Radiator should detect such a hung server.
The default timeout is 60 seconds, but you can change this with the Timeout
parameter in your AuthBy RODOPI clause.

> If someone wants to look at either the Windows 2000 server or the Linux box
> let me know. I have terminal services setup on Windows 2000 and SSH on the
> Linux box.

I think I would like to at least check the linux box, and use dbish to test
the behaviour of the SQL connection.

I dont understand why the stored procedure would hang forever unless it was
trying to gain access to some resource that never became available. Are you
able to see the code of the Rodopi stored procedure?

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au