(RADIATOR) FreeTDS & DBD-Sybase Install

Dan Melomedman dan%dan.dan at devonit.com
Wed Feb 5 10:47:23 CST 2003

Tim Jung wrote:
> I found this out from the author of the DBD::Sybase module. He posted this
> to the FreeTDS mailing list back in October 2002. He is specifically
> talking about the errors that are generated when you run the 'make test'
> option on the DBD::Sybase module using FreeTDS.
>
> So it would look like that until more work is done on FreeTDS that it
> doesn't support 100% of everything that MS-SQL is capable of doing. Thus

Exactly. However, everything Radiator needs by default is supported. The
reason why we dropped FreeTDS is because it didn't know how to handle
broken connections, and hung perl. We still use FreeTDS with PHP. It's
quirky, but we got it to work for what we need it to do.

> the DBD::Sybase won't pass all the 'make test' tests using FreeTDS v0.60 or
> the CVS version v0.61 as of today. I guess it is possible that the release
> version of v0.61 might up the level of support though. Although it would
> seem than 85%-86% support isn't too bad for an Open Source package talking
> to a commercial closed source database. :)

Knowing that they don't have specs and need to reverse engineer, it's an
achievement, however they had problems such as memory leaks and buffer
overflows/segfaults in FreeTDS, which suggests they put features first, and
stability/quality second. Not good.

> So the question that remains is which version of the TDS protocol is needed
> to talk with MS-SQL 7.0 SP3 so Radiator can talk to the Rodopi databases?
> Should I use the 4.2 protocol or the 7.0 protocol? Specifically I am
> interested in using the "Auth Rodopi" stuff in Radiator. Anyone here know
> for sure?

If you read their documentation you'd know it's TDS 7.0. Have fun.
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au