(RADIATOR) Fixed IP assignment to some clients

Tony Hunter tony at ark.com
Fri Sep 13 16:33:18 CDT 2002

We have recently converted some additional RAS servers to authenticate via
an existing Radiator server. Some of the clients authenticating need to
have a fixed IP assigment and we had previously accomodated this. However,
I'm having some trouble getting this working under Radiator.

Searching the Radiator archives brought me to:
http://www.open.com.au/archives/radiator/1999-04/msg00136.html

which seemed like it contained the answer I needed. I've not set it
up *exactly* as outlined in that post, but thought it should work.

The relevant section of our radius.cfg prior to the change looked
like this:

AuthSelect select PASSWORD, REPLYATTR from SUBSCRIBERS where USERNAME='%n'
AuthColumnDef 0, User-Password, check
AuthColumnDef 1, GENERIC, reply

This has been working fine.

In our SUBSCRIBERS table, we have some unused columns, so rather than
alter that table, I'd thought I'd first try using an existing (unused as
far as I know) column named PLAINTEXT whose type is varchar(50) with a
default value = NULL.

So, I modified radius.cfg to look like this:

AuthSelect select PASSWORD, REPLYATTR, PLAINTEXT from SUBSCRIBERS where \
USERNAME='%n'
AuthColumnDef 0, User-Password, check
AuthColumnDef 1, GENERIC, reply
AuthColumnDef 2, Framed-IP-Address, reply

I updated the SUBSCRIBERS table with a statement:
update SUBSCRIBERS set PLAINTEXT = 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' where \
USERNAME='testuser';

Restarted Radiator, but testuser does not get the desired IP - still
authenticates, but gets a dynamic IP from the RAS server pool.

Is the name of the column in the SUBSCRIBERS table which contains the
fixed IP assignment significant? In the message I referenced above, Mike
names the column FIXEDIPADDRESS. Any other hints about what I may have
missed?

Thanks!

--
Regards,