(RADIATOR) SQL Server Connection Handling

'Dan Melomedman' dan at devonit.com
Thu Sep 5 12:19:50 CDT 2002

Patrick Muldoon(NOC) wrote:
> We use DBD::Sybase with FreeTDS to connect to MSSQL Server 2000 from
> FreeBSD, and it works great, have never had any trouble.
>
> What version of FreeTDS are you using?
>
> You can also do some debugging with FreeTDS to see if it is the one
> hanging.
> http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1873.htm#AEN1877
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Patrick

I am happy for you. We are using MSSQL 7.0, with service pack 2. We also
use FreeTDS with PHP, and had some minor problems, but nothing major.
There are/were many really screwy problems with FreeTDS like memory leaks
and segfaults, and part of the problem is the reverse engineering, but
it's a good suspect.

We're always using the latest version of FreeTDS, and AFAIK it's been
0.53 for quite a while. This server hang problem is very irritating, and
ambiguity of it really sucks. Where to look? DBD:Sybase? FreeTDS? MSSQL?
So many layers.

Does anyone on this list use MSSQL with Sybase client libraries by any
chance? UnixODBC or iODBC with a commercial ODBC driver? What are your
results? I've used Sybase client libraries with MSSQL 6.5 in the past
with good results. Had more problems with 7.0. BTW, FreeTDS have a
very early version of an ODBC driver. They're willing to finish it
if you sponsor them. If FreeTDS makes you a profit, may as well
support the developers :)
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au