(RADIATOR) Port-Error

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Wed Oct 23 06:46:14 CDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Mohammed AbdusSami wrote:

> Following is the stop record of my accounting configuration. The cause
> of termination of this is PORT-ERROR. Can you please me what does it
> means.

As Hugh sugested, this is really a NAS-specific issue.  But...

> Mon Oct 14 04:12:16 2002
> 	NAS-IP-Address = 212.26.73.240
> 	NAS-Port = 132
> 	NAS-Port-Type = Async
> 	User-Name = "zajil120771 at zajil.net"
> 	Called-Station-Id = "3602428"
> 	Calling-Station-Id = "33610711"
> 	Acct-Status-Type = Stop
> 	Acct-Authentic = RADIUS
> 	Service-Type = Framed-User
> 	Acct-Session-Id = "000DDA8A"
> 	Framed-Protocol = PPP
> 	Framed-IP-Address = 212.24.231.64
> 	Acct-Terminate-Cause = Port-Error
> 	Acct-Input-Octets = 980238
> 	Acct-Output-Octets = 9946394
> 	Acct-Input-Packets = 11304
> 	Acct-Output-Packets = 10777
> 	Acct-Session-Time = 8201
> 	Acct-Delay-Time = 0
> 	Timestamp = 1034557936

Is this from a Cisco?  If so, these snippages are probably relevant:

===================================8<===================================
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:35:24 -0700
From: Dennis Peng <dpeng at cisco.com>
To: Neale Banks <neale at lowendale.com.au>
Cc: cisco-nas at external.cisco.com
Subject: Re: Acct-Terminate-Cause = Port-Error ?

"Port Error" indicates that there was a failure in PPP keepalives, ie
we were sending out LCP echo requests, and didn't receive a LCP echo
reply response 5 times in a row. Perhaps the lower layer already went
away and this wasn't signalled properly? Or modem was retraining for a
long time? It's hard to say. Is this is on an async interface?
Keepalives are turned off by default on async interfaces, so I assume
you have it enabled?

Dennis