(RADIATOR) Radiator: Acct-Session-ID

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Sat Oct 19 01:04:48 CDT 2002

Hello Byron -

Here is what rfc2866 says:

5.5.  Acct-Session-Id

    Description

       This attribute is a unique Accounting ID to make it easy to match
       start and stop records in a log file.  The start and stop records
       for a given session MUST have the same Acct-Session-Id.  An
       Accounting-Request packet MUST have an Acct-Session-Id.  An
       Access-Request packet MAY have an Acct-Session-Id; if it does,
       then the NAS MUST use the same Acct-Session-Id in the Accounting-
       Request packets for that session.

       The Acct-Session-Id SHOULD contain UTF-8 encoded 10646 [7]
       characters.

       For example, one implementation uses a string with an 8-digit
       upper case hexadecimal number, the first two digits increment on
       each reboot (wrapping every 256 reboots) and the next 6 digits
       counting from 0 for the first person logging in after a reboot up
       to 2^24-1, about 16 million.  Other encodings are possible.

    A summary of the Acct-Session-Id attribute format is shown below.
    The fields are transmitted from left to right.

     0                   1                   2
     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |     Type      |    Length     |  Text ...
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    Type

       44 for Acct-Session-Id.

    Length

       >= 3

    String

       The String field SHOULD be a string of UTF-8 encoded 10646 [7]
       characters.

What you are seeing is a binary string from the NAS that contains
non-printable characters.

I would suggest you contact your vendor and ask them what format they
are sending, and also ask them if it is possible to change it to
something more sensible.

If you do find out could you please let us know so we can add something
to the FAQ.

On Saturday, October 19, 2002, at 12:20 PM, BYRON L. FERREIRA wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
> When we have a customer that uses Radiator (Windows 2000) and
> everything works fine except for his Accounting Records.  Only the
> Acct-Session-ID doesn't seem to follow any type of formatting.  This
> is what they get: Acct-Session-Id = "<193>LkL<0><1>|g".  any idea if
> there is something in the configuration that needs to be set, or is it
> not compatible with the Nortel CVX1800.  I also loaded the trial
> version of Radius on our server and also receive the same output.
>
> Thank You
> Byron F.

NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our
correspondence.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au