(RADIATOR) DefaultSimultaneousUse 1 problem

Rob Hill rob at dot.net.au
Tue Oct 1 20:35:35 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 16:35, Hugh Irvine wrote:

> Hello Rob -
>
> The problem is not with Realms or Handlers, but rather with the AuthBy
> RADIUS clause which does not use DefaultSimultaneousUse (the actual
> code is in Radius/AuthGeneric.pm).
>
> Perhaps you could give me a bit more detail on what you want to do?
>
> regards
>
> Hugh

Hi Hugh -

Basically, I want to set a DefaultSimultaneousUse 1 limit for the
majority of users, while being able to override it on a specific basis,
with Simultaneous-Use=2 for example.

But all our AuthBy clauses are called from Handlers, so we can't. We
have to use MaxSessions, which cannot be overridden on a per-user basis.

So in a nutshell, you can only call DefaultSimultaneousUse from a Realm,
not a Handler, and we only use Handlers ;o)

My original question was 'why is this the case?'

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

> On Tuesday, October 1, 2002, at 12:45 PM, Rob Hill wrote:
>

> > Hi -
> >
> > I've been setting up <SessionsDatabase SQL> and encountered a weird
> > caveat while doing so - it doesn't seem to be possible to apply
> > DefaultSimultaneousUse from within an AuthBy which has been called by a
> > Handler.
> >
> > The code in AuthGeneric.pm goes as follows (we're using Radiator
> > 2.18.4):
> >

> >     # Check the DefaultSimultaneousUse if we did not get a per-user
> >     # one. Warning, dont do it if we were called by a Handler
> >     if (!$did_sim_use
> >         && $self
> >         && defined $self->{DefaultSimultaneousUse}
> >         &&
> > Radius::SessGeneric::find($p->{Handler}->{SessionDatabase})-
> > >exceeded($self->{DefaultSimultaneousUse}, $username, $p))
> >     {
> >         return ($main::REJECT,
> >                 "DefaultSimultaneousUse of
> > $self->{DefaultSimultaneousUse}  exceeded");
> >     }
> >

> > My question is why? We use handles almost exclusively, to differenciate
> > between multiple number ranges and all kinds of funky stuff. We don't
> > use any Realms (it would work if called from a realm)
> >
> > <AuthBy RADIUS>
> >         Identifier      SPD1
> >         Secret          xxxxxxxx
> >
> >         ### Use sim-use of 1 unless there is a user-specific entry
> >         ### doesn't work if called by a handler - have to use
> >         ### MaxSessions instead (in the handler)
> >         DefaultSimultaneousUse 1
> >
> > 	Host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >
> > </AuthBy>
> >

> > So when I call <AuthBy SPD1> from within a handler, the SessionDatabase
> > countQuery is never executed (although the add and delete are).
> >

> > It does work if I set MaxSessions, but we don't want to have to use
> > MaxSessions, as it can't be overridden by specific Simultaneous-Use
> > attributes.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > ===
> > Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radiator/
> > Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au
> >

> NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our
> correspondence.

> anywhere. Available on *NIX, *BSD, Windows 95/98/2000, NT, MacOS X.
> -
  Rob Hill
  Systems Manager
  Dot Communications