(RADIATOR) Info.

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Sun Mar 24 16:57:40 CST 2002

Hello Aamir -

> I want to switch my radius service to radiator. Couldn't see the technical
>  details of radiator which i was expecting. There are some issues i'm
> facing before switching my service to Radiator.

We are pleased that you are considering Radiator.

The Radiator reference manual is on the web site at:

	www.open.com.au/radiator/ref.html

> Q) Could you ppl tell me that how many threads or forks radiator can open
> on solaris box? How radiator tackles the radius client if it receives
> multiple packets with same info, which happens due to slow server response.

Radiator is single threaded, however there is a "Fork" option available that
is limited only by the system resources of the solaris box.

> Q) What should an administartor do if Radius ( Radiator ) Server
> performance goes slow, since if there are no issues with machine resources?
> ( As i have a huge User Database on Oracle around 20,000. )

The best tool to use is the "Trace 4" debug in Radiator, possibly in
conjunction with the "LogMicroseconds" parameter so you can see what
operations are taking the most time.

BTW - we have many customers with several million users in SQL.

> Q) How many requests/packets can Radiator entertain simultaneously ?

As mentioned previously, Radiator is single threaded, however it is common
practice to run two instances of Radiator on the same host, one for
authentication and the other for accounting.

It is our experience that performance issues are almost always related to
database speed (or lack thereof), or congested links that drop packets.

There are some indicative performance numbers in section 24 of the Radiator
reference manual.

If you have any other questions, please contact me directly.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au