Fwd: Re: Fwd: RE: (RADIATOR) Radiator 3.1 Memory Leak

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Sat Jul 6 00:54:50 CDT 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, Mike McCauley wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 03:37, Forbes Mike wrote:
> > Do you have more specifics on the PAM leak as it looks like MIke did some
> > extensive testing?  I would like to pursue this with RedHat and any
> > information would be helpful.  Is this a problem specific to redhat or
> > just pam in general?
>
> I inspected the perl PAM interface closely for potenial leaks, then wrote a
> small test program that would do large numbers of authentications. I found
> that
>
> new Authen::PAM
> does not leak (it calls pam_start)
>
> but that  pam_authenticate does leak.
>
> I was able to confirm that the perl interface does free the memory it
> mallocs, so I conclude the problem is in the PAM libraries. I was
> testing on RH 7.3 with pam-0.75-32 and Authen-PAM-0.13 but I dont know
> if its specific to RH

	After running AuthBy PAM for an certain amount of time...I get
	core dumps.  I don't see the correlation but I thought I might add
	that.  I haven't looked for leaks but there is something wrong
	with the way Radiator or Authen-PAM uses PAM...I use this same pam
	module for several other services that get used hundreds or
	thousands of times a day without problems.  But with Radiator or
	Authen-PAM I get core dumps often.

	This is on FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE (which gets it's pam stuff directly
	from the Linux work).

	I tried it on other systems as well.  Don't know if it is related
	(probably not), but maybe there is a problem with Authen-PAM.

Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au