(RADIATOR) Session SQL/Allocator SQL/Multichannel issues on MAX hardware

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Jan 30 18:50:07 CST 2002

Hello Justin -

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 07:07, Justin Scott wrote:
> Hugh, et. al.,
>
> I'm having an interesting set of issues now that I have Radiator running
> "like I want it" :)
>
> Current configuration includes the following:
> 1) <AuthBy SQL> (which is properly configured to handle the extra reply
> fields mentioned in the below scenario) 2) <SessionDatabase SQL>
> 3) <AddressAllocator SQL>
> 4) <AuthBy DYNADDRESS>

Understood.

> So... That being said:
>
> 1) Customer A is configured for dual channel use (via modem or isdn).
> 2) subscribers.replyattr = 'Ascend-Maximum-Channels = 2'
> 3) subscribers.maxsessions = '2'
> 4) Device connects both channels, and is bonded as expected.
> 5) Session Database shows two sessions (since the session id is different,
> I guess?) 6) SQL Allocator assigns one IP per sessionID, though the maxen
> only pay attention to the first IP that was used when the MP stack was
> setup on the first connected channel.
>
> If I set subscribers.maxsessions = '1', of course it doesn't work because
> the sessions database doesn't realize this is MP and multiple channels may
> be considered one session... not a problem, I can live with this.

What you really need to do is look at a trace 4 debug from Radiator to see
exactly what is contained in the request packets for each channel. If we can
confidently recognise the second channel request, we can configure Handlers
for each case and only allocate an IP address for the first channel.

> What I can't live with is SQL Allocator giving out two IPs when only one is
> necessary.  Is there any way to overcome this?  Does this also indicate
> that if I assigned a static IP using the REPLYATTR column that SQL
> Allocator would also lease a DynIP to the caller?

The AuthBy DYNADDRESS clause checks the contents of the reply packet before
doing anything and if there is a Framed-IP-Address already present it won't
allocate another address. So the answer to your question is if you supply a
static IP address, the AuthBy DYNADDRESS won't do anything.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au