(RADIATOR) migration to radiator with cisco-equipment

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Jan 7 17:27:03 CST 2002

Hello Alexander -

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 00:09, Alexander Wallnöfer wrote:
> I´m evaluating the radiotor and I'm thinking to  migrate from x-Tacacs
> based on an Informix-DB to the Radiator based on LINUX/MySQL or
> LINUX/Informix.
> We are an ISP with about 10.000 Customers in the Dial-Up-Sector.
> As NAS we exclusively use Cisco-Equipment (some 3660, AS5300 and two AS5200
> ; the later one will be eliminated in the near future).
> In the new environment we will use a multi-chassis configuration.

This sounds like a fairly standard setup.

> So I have some questions, if anyone can help:
>
> 1. Has someone of you experiences in such a migration? What should I care
> about?

I have done similar migrations in the past and it has been fairly
straightforward. We provide a utility called "buildsql" in the distribution
that you may find useful (you can modify the source if you need to).

> 2. Are there any known problems with "ppp multilink"  for Dial-Up-Users
> (ISDN and Modem)

There are no problems with multilink.

> 3. Has the change from Tacacs to Radius any disadvantages?

There are a few things that Tacacs can do that Radius cannot. Specifically
logging of command lines entered on the NAS, as this requires a TCP
connection (Tacacs) rather than UDP (Radius).

> 4. Is the combination Linux/MySQL a good choice? How scalable is this
> choice?

We have a great many customers using this combination with excellent results.

We provide some indicative performance numbers in section 24 of the Radiator
2.19 reference manual (included in the distribution in the file
"doc/ref.html").

There are also some descriptions of real customer installations on the web
site (http://www.open.com.au/radiator/examples.html).

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au