(RADIATOR) time billing issues

Greg 'Rafiq' Clarkson gregc at netc.net.au
Tue Dec 3 17:38:30 CST 2002

Hi all,

This is not a specific Radiator issue (at least I don't think it is) but I
thought this mailing list could help....

We are migrating to a new billing system and so we have run the new system
in parallel with the old for last month's billing cycle.  We have found that
they are producing different values for "hours online".  The more a customer
uses the system the greater the discrepancy.

They use two different ways to calculate time for each session:

1. insert START timestamp into database.  update record with matching STOP
timestamp.  subtract START from STOP to get 'time online'.

2. insert STOP records only.  use Acct-Session-Time value for 'time online'

Any suggestions as to why there would be a difference?

One scenario I can think of is that I am loosing STOP records!  In
accounting method one, if there is a START record without a STOP record some
calculation is made (based on ALIVE) so I still get some billable info.
Whereas in method two, if I loose the STOP record I loose all information
about the customer.

Any other suggestions??

Greg

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au