(RADIATOR) Telnet, SMTP and port 25

Ayotunde Itayemi aitayemi at metrong.com
Wed Aug 21 11:12:06 CDT 2002

Hi Hugh, Hi all,

Okay this is not a RADIUS question, but excuse me anyway.

I have a RedHat 6.2 Linux system that has been configured as a mail server
for a real Internet domain. Users can receive their mails but nothing (mails) can be sent out.

After a lot of troubleshooting I made out the following:

1. The system can't send mails out because you cannot initiate a telnet session from it
    to any other system on port 25 e.g.,

[root at mail itayemi]# telnet 10.0.4.4 25
Trying 10.0.4.4...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

This is the same message that keeps being written to the mail log (/var/log/maillog)
by sendmail. Any ideas?

You can telnet to it on port 25 from other systems.

I have looked at all the common causes I can think of (DNS, inetd, routing, sendmail etc)
Nothing seems to work. The system is not configured as a firewall and the port is not blocked
by the router or any other device.

Regards,
Tunde I.