(RADIATOR) SessionDatabase Bloat

Jon Snyder jon at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 25 17:44:01 CDT 2002

Hello,

We've been happily using Radiator for a few months now.  However, our
SessionDatabase has been steadily growing in size and now stands at about
20Mb for each .dir and .pag file.  Radiator is configured as follows (this
is the only SessionDatabase clause):

<SessionDatabase DBM>
        Filename %D/sessdb
</SessionDatabase>

which should just utilize the default AnyDBM_File, which according to its
documentation picks ndbm first.  Stopping and restarting Radiator does not
affect this; the files just keep getting bigger.  radwho.pl reports the
active users, and it always seems accurate--there are roughly 150-200
sessions at a given time.

Should I try a different DBType, or is this somehow normal for ndbm?

I read somewhere that the dbm file may not actually be using that much
space, and to check ls -s on the files, which reports that the file really
is that big.  Right now we're at 19752 blocks for sessdb.dir and sessdb.pag.

Thanks much,

Jon Snyder
Computing & Networking Services
Portland State University