(RADIATOR) signal to NAS

Mariano Absatz radiator at lists.com.ar
Mon Oct 22 14:52:27 CDT 2001

Well... Radius is (or used to be) a strict client/server protocol where
the server is passively waiting for requests from the client and
reacting (or not) to them as it sees apropriate.

Now, the client is the NAS and the server (in our case) is Radiator.
There should be no way for the server to asynchronously send anything to
the client (the NAS).

But if you want to disconnect a user who dialed-in to the NAS from the
server, you have to do just that.

RFC2822 (Extended RADIUS Practices) says:

> 6.4.  Authorization Changes:
>
>    To implement an active changes to a running session, such as filter
>    changes or timeout and disconnect, at least one vendor has added a
>    RADIUS "server" to his NAS. This server accepts messages sent from
an
>    application in the network, and upon matching some session
>    information, will perform such operations.
>
>    Messages sent from Server to NAS
>
>     - Change Filter Request
>     - Change Filter Ack / Nak
>     - Disconnect Request
>     - Disconnect Response
>
>    Filters are used to limit the access the user has to the network by
>    restricting the systems and protocols he can send packets to.  Upon
>    fulfilling some registration with an authorization server, the
>    service provider may wish to remove those restrictions, or
disconnect
>    the user.

So, in fact, the NAS should have a "minimal" radius server inside and
you should have a radius client... but Radiator has radpwtst which is
precisely, a radius client...

Browsing a little bit among old docs, I found an Internet-Draft, draft-
chiba-radius-dynamic-authorization-00.txt: "Dynamic Authorization"...
browsing ftp.ietf.org I see it's expired and no longer on line...
anyway, if you want it, I can send it by mail.

This draft is written by a couple of guys from Cisco, so I suspect there
is at least a Cisco box with this behaviour... anyway, you MUST see your
NAS documentation to check that this is available and how it works... I
think I once saw a whitepaper about the Nortel CVX supporting this.

The draft says, the "client's client" (i.e. radpwtst) must send a Radius
Disconnect Request packet with the username, or session-id, or IP
address of the user to disconnect and the "client turned into server"
(the NAS) should disconnect it and send a Disconnect ACK packet or not
disconnect it and send a Disconnect NAK packet.

Also, you should see when and why you do disconnect it... maybe from a
radwho.cgi... it shouldn't be hard to add a link to every line saying
"disconnect this guy" and launching radpwtst with the apropriate
options...

HTH.

El 20 Oct 2001 a las 16:13, lloyd dagoc escribió:

> hello,
>
> just wondering if RADIATOR can send a signal to NAS to disconnect a
> particular user....can RADIATOR do that? if yes , how?
>

> = )
> thanks
> lloyd
> inter.net philippines incorporated

Mariano Absatz
El Baby
I wish for a world of peace, harmony, & nakedness.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au