(RADIATOR) Accouting File

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Oct 3 23:44:24 CDT 2001

Hello Rod -

> I finally got my validation process working with multiple <AuthBy FILE>
> sections, but am still
> not getting any entries in the  AcctLogFileName file.
>
> If I run the radpwtst program, it DOES put a start and stop entry into that
> AcctLogFileName file,
> but actual dialup validations are not writing anything to that file.
>
> If I look at the logfile generated, it is obvious what the problem is, but
> I can't figure out how to resolve it.
>
> The logfile shows that when I run the radpwtst program an ACCESS REQUEST
> and an ACCOUNTING REQUEST are generated.
>
> But when I validate a dialup user, only an ACCESS REQUEST is generated.
>
> I have reproduced the radius.cfg file here, as it is really simple and
> straight forward.
>
> 	# radius.cfg
> 	LogDir /var/log/radius
> 	DbDir /etc/radiator
> 	AcctPort 1813
> 	AuthPort 1812
> 	Trace 4
> 	<Client DEFAULT>
> 		Secret testsecret
> 		DupInterval 2
> 		NasType Cisco
> 	</Client>
> 	<Realm DEFAULT>
> 		<AuthBy FILE>
> 			Filename %D/userfiles/dialup56k
> 		</AuthBy>
> 		<AuthBy FILE>
> 			Filename %D/userfiles/dialupISDN
> 		</AuthBy>
> 		<AuthBy FILE>
> 			Filename %D/userfiles/Unknown
> 		</AuthBy>
> 		AcctLogFileName %L/details
> 	</Realm>
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Are there any other suggestions for this configuration?
> I want to keep it really simple, as the personnel who maintain it
> are not all that technical savvy.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your configuration, I suspect it
is your NAS that is not sending any accounting records.

You will have to check with your NAS vendor and/or documentation to find out
how to configure radius accounting.

BTW - you can see what is going on by looking at a Radiator trace 4 debug
listing.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au