(RADIATOR) slightly OT: SMTP relay module

Mariano Absatz radiator at lists.com.ar
Tue Nov 27 08:25:33 CST 2001

For a differente (and IMHO more elegant) solution, you might like to check
WHOSON:
http://whoson.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/whoson/

It's done by Eugene Crosser and consists of a very simple protocol that
allows you to have an on-line list of "logged in IP addresses" to which you
can "log in", "log out", "tiemout" and "query".

It's used with ZMailer (http://zmailer.org) to provide POP-before-SMTP
authentication (by patching your POP/IMAP server to send a login). But it is
designed with radius in mind so you can "log in" and "log out" from a radius
server.

The API includes a Perl module, so you could call it directly from a hook in
Radiator.

Regretfully, I still didn't convince any customer to use it this way, only as
POP-before-SMTP, so we didn't still make such hooks.

In
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16839&release_id=24410
you will see a bunch of 3rd party patches, including one for sendmail (we
designed the Courier-IMAP and the SolidPOP3d ones).

El 27 Nov 2001 a las 9:16, Mark - Orcon Support escribió:

> Hi Charles -
>
> Check out http://freshmeat.net/project/sendmailmysqlmap/. This enables a
> mysql lookup for sendmail table types. We use this for replacing
> virtusertable, but you could apply it to 'roamingips'. Then use Radiator to
> simply insert data into the lookup table. Simply fudge a RADONLINE table or
> use a hook to insert values in there, and then set a crontab to delete entries
> over a certain age...
>
> /Mark
>

> > From: Charles Sprickman <spork at inch.com>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:46:13 -0500 (EST)
> > To: <radiator at open.com.au>
> > Subject: (RADIATOR) slightly OT: SMTP relay module
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I started playing around with this idea some time ago, but dropped it
> > since I'm not a true perl hacker...
> >
> > This is essentially the beginnings of a small module to allow roaming
> > users of any sort that are authenticated by radiator to relay mail for the
> > duration of their session.  I settled on this method because it made more
> > sense to me than the numerous pop-before-smtp hacks.  It's a bit more
> > straightforward:  If you are an authenticated user, you can relay mail for
> > the duration of your session, end of story...  No hacking of your pop or
> > smtp server is required.
> >
> > The line in sendmail.cf is pretty easy:
> >
> > Kpopauth hash -a<OK> /usr/local/etc/mail/popauth
> >
> > and
> >
> > SLocal_check_rcpt
> > R$*             $: $(popauth $&{client_addr} $: <?> $)
> > R<?>            $@ NoPopAuth
> >
> > R$*<OK>         $# OK
> >
> > This is all stolen from the cf/hack/popauth.m4 distributed with sendmail.
> >
> > Basically, it works.  My problem is, it doesn't work well, and I have zero
> > experience in any kind of advanced perl work, specifically modules and the
> > like.
> >
> > If there's anyone that would like to help polish this, it would be nice to
> > get it cleaned up and thrown in the radiator contrib dir.  I could also work
> > out a version for qmail, and perhaps postfix with some help.
> >
> > Any takers?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Charles
> >

> > | Charles Sprickman                  | Internet Channel
> > | INCH System Administration Team    | (212)243-5200
> > | spork at inch.com                     | access at inch.com

Mariano Absatz
El Baby
Stack Error: Lost on a cluttered desk...

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au