(RADIATOR) SQL Server Timeout

Benjamin Wakefield ben at team.dcsi.net.au
Mon Nov 12 01:46:15 CST 2001

We're using Radiator together with Platypus Billing System.

Radiator authenticates from the Platypus database, which is running on NT4
and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 SP3.

Lately, we have been getting a lot of timeout problems between Radiator and
the SQL server.

We started noticing it just after we upgraded the SQL server from a Pentium
III 700Mhz with 256mb RAM to a dual processor machine with 1Gb RAM.

When the new server was built the latest version of everything was
installed, I thought there might have been problems with the new Microsoft
Data Access Components (MDAC). So I rebuilt the server and installed the
previous version. We still get the timeouts.

We thought maybe there were problems with the hardware in the new server and
replaced components one-by-one, and still get timeouts.

Radiator and SQL Server were running on the same machine. We separated them,
moving Radiator to a single processor machine with 256MB RAM that had
nothing installed except Radiator. We still got timeout errors.

We have now moved the SQL server back to a single processor machine with
320MB of RAM and we got more timeouts today.

None of the Platypus clients ever receive timeout errors, Radiator seems to
be the only thing that queries the database that get "time out".

I really don't know a lot about SQL server, when it was originally installed
we didn't do anything more that a typical install and everything was fine,
until we moved to a different machine!

Are the SQL timeouts normal? Should they happen on a daily basis? Did we
just not notice them before?

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd really appreciate it!

Regards,
Ben
______________________________
Benjamin Wakefield