(RADIATOR) Session Limits for PPPoE

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Fri Nov 2 14:24:07 CST 2001

Hello Mike -

At 12:38 -0800 01/11/2, Mike Greene wrote:
>Hello,
>
>We have just started using the session limit for our TotalControl
>and Livingston NAS'es with pretty good results.  I'm now looking
>into how we can poll our Cisco 7206VXR for aDSL connections.  I see
>that Radiator utilizes the VPDN feature, but doesn't support the
>PPPoE listing, which when you run
>
>'sh vpdn sess'
>
>it doesn't display the username, but if you run 'systat' it will,
>although usernames are truncated in the display I don't know if they
>would be by polling via SNMP.
>
>The reason I'm looking into this is because we utilize the same
>radius server and username/password for both dial-up as we do aDSL,
>so it is possible that a customer could have an active aDSL
>connection, and a dial-up connection from another computer or site.
>
>How do others deal with this issue?

The first thing to look at is a trace 4 debug from Radiator to see
exactly what attributes are present in the access requests and the
accounting requests. This is because it is these attributes that are
used for session database maintenance in the first instance. The NAS
check is a followup check that occurs after the access request is
received, so you need to check the contents of the access request
first.

NB: I am travelling this week, so there may be delays in our correspondence.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au