Logging in a database with a proxying realm

Alex Fritz alex at kerdaino.com
Thu Dec 20 12:25:24 CST 2001

Hey guys,
  Just need a little help here.  We have some realms that are "passing
through" our radius server.  The actual authentication takes place at their
server but we are the server the NAS looks to.  We set it up to AuthBy
RADIUS and that works great.  The problem is that we want to log the users
that authenticate or fail to that realm.  We need to figure out how to
insert the packets into our database.

We tried using <AuthLog SQL> but were having difficulties getting it work
correctly.  This is the piece of the config file we are having problems
with:

###############
<Realm always-onlineusa.com>
AuthByPolicy ContinueWhileAccept
	<AuthBy RADIUS>
		<Host 63.252.251.119>
			Secret ncn123456
			AuthPort 1814
			AcctPort 1815
		</Host>
	</AuthBy>
	<AuthLog SQL>
		DBSource	dbi:Oracle:ncnora
		DBUsername	radius_21globe
		DBAuth      123456
		LogSuccess 1
		Table ACCOUNTING
		DateFormat %a  %b %e, %Y %I:%M %p
		SuccessQuery insert into RADIUS_21GLOBE.ACCOUNTING \
                	(USERNAME, TIME_STAMP, LOGDATESTR, ACCTSTATUSTYPE,
ACCTDELAYTIME, \
			ACCTINPUTOCTETS, ACCTOUTPUTOCTETS, ACCTSESSIONID, ACCTSESSIONTIME, \
			ACCTTERMINATECAUSE, NASIDENTIFIER, NASPORT, FRAMEDIPADDRESS, \
			CALLINGSTATIONID, CALLSTATIONID) \
                	values \
                	('%{User-Name}', %{Timestamp,integer}, \
			'%{Timestamp,integer-date}', '%{Acct-Status-Type}', \
			%{Acct-Delay-Time}, %{Acct-Input-Octets,integer}, \
			%{Acct-Output-Octets,integer}, '%{Acct-Session-Id}', \
			%{Acct-Session-Time,integer}, %{Acct-Terminate-Cause}, \
			'%{NAS-Identifier}', %{NAS-Port,integer}, \
			'%{NAS-IP-Address}', '%{Calling-Station-Id}', \
			'%{Called-Station-Id}')
	</AuthLog>
	# Log accounting to a detail file
	AcctLogFileName	./logs/always-online.detail
</Realm>
##################

Problem is that some of the values that come from the Special string
formatting characters are coming back null (which needs to be fixed because
we need those values) and this causes the SQL statement to fail.  Please
help, we need to have these logs in our database and not in text files on
the radius server.  Thanks.

Alex Fritz
alex at kerdaino.com
Kerdaino Enterprises, Inc.
Mobile, AL USA
---

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au