(RADIATOR) detail files: binary feature request, fast searching

Miguel A.L. Paraz map at internet.org.ph
Tue Aug 28 22:08:26 CDT 2001

What do you think of of storing the detail files in the original RADIUS
packet form?  Then if we need to display then, look them up at the
dictionary.  I think this would save space and speed up searching.

Speaking of searching - is there a tool, or anyone have ideas, of doing
fast lookups on detail files?  I'd like to be able to do faster lookups
on Framed-IP-Address and a time, for tracking down abuse and the like.
I think that a SQL database is not optimized for queries like:

select USERNAME, CALLERID from RADUSAGE where TIME_STAMP > time_searched
and TIME_STAMP - ACCTSESSIONTIME < time_searched

As it just does a linear search.
Instead, I'm thinking of building an index on the detail information
using some sort of tree structure that will handle searching on
extents well.  Having the detail info in binary would reduce the I/O
required.

What do you think?

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au