(RADIATOR) filtered logs?

Mark O'Leary mark at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 05:01:03 CDT 2001

On 9 Aug 2001, at 12:15, Hugh Irvine wrote:

> the only way to understand what the NAS is doing is to look at a trace 4
> debug from Radiator (or the output from your favourite packet
> sniffer) to see what attributes are present

This may either be a help enquiry or a request for a new feature. ;)

As noted above there are many instances were a high level trace of
transactions for a particular user (or, in this case, for the class of users
doing multilink PPP) are required to troubleshoot a config - or indeed just a
user with a login problem.

However, I find that in trying to follow the transactions for a single user
on a production service with reasonably high traffic levels, I'm wading
through loads of irrelevant transactions in trying to reconstruct the
sequence of communications for a single user.

What would be particularly useful is to be able to specify a temporary
logfile which could be filtered for a particular username, or a particular
class of connection, or a particular realm - as flexible as possible really.
Then I could leave my standard logging as it is, and just have a *relevant*
trace 4 or 5 for the particular problem I'm looking at for as long as I need
it.

I've faked this in the past by creating a "troubleshooting" realm and asking
only the user with a problem to try connecting with that realm. Then I can
test each of our AuthBY methods one at a time by altering the realm config,
and generate a realm-specific log. But its a long-winded way to achieve it,
and an artificial setup. (and I can't get a level 4 or 5 trace for the realm
without increasing the 'global' level correspondingly and altering all my
main logs for as long as I test).

Are any alternatives possible?

M.

--