(RADAR) my thoughts on radar

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Mon Mar 18 17:21:39 CST 2002

Hello Bruno.

Thanks for your feedback.

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 04:03, Bruno Tiago Rodrigues wrote:
> Hi guys
> I got tired of waiting and installed 3.0beta on our production environment,
> along with radar.

Were you waiting for us?

> So far, I've had RADAR crashed once after opening a plotter properties
> window, but I haven't been able to reproduce it... radiator is still stable
> (24 hours uptime)

If you get a crash, please send to me any output you see as a clue to help me
fix it.

> here are my thoughts and wishes:

Thank you.

> i'm running two instances on each server (auth and acct), so I've got two
> cells for each server. it would be wonderful to have the server description
> (like on the plot bar->properties->title) also configurable on the left
> frame. somehow, identifying a server as host1-accounting should be better
> than just hostname:radar_port

OK, Added

> code for hooks and RewriteUsername are showed as ugly CODE and ARRAY perl
> references (this is mostly a visual enhancement) and there's got to be a
> better way to encapsulate them.

OK. they now appear with the orginal uncompiled text. This required a change
in both Radiator and radar, but its much better. The change value window for
hooks is muliti-line but read-only, since changing the hook text from Radadr
would not actually change the compiled code.

> the configuration shown is the active configuration when radar was started
> (and not the active configuration, since there might have been a
> configuration change and a HUP meanwhile). These kind of events (server
> restarts, time lapses matching server downtime, server uptime) could be
> logged, somehow...
Yes, the paramters in the left hand list show the values fromt eh last time
the list was expanded. They dont change in real time unless you close and
reexpand, or if you use change paramters to change a value.

> also, changes made on the server configuration (using the RADAR interface)
> seem to be instant, but they are not saved to the configuration file (I
> can't think of a way of accomplish this without ruining the original config
> file layout). Altough this could be hard to get, it would surely be a nice
> feature for RADAR (and would surely change the original scope of the
> application, which is monitoring, not administration)...

Yes, we can see that one day, it might be possible and desirable to
permanently reconfigure Radiator through Radar. However in this version, the
changes are only temporary, allowing you to test them.

> when messing up with the graphs scale, the screen may get a little garbled
> and confused. a "screen reset/clear" feature would sure be handy here
> sometimes....

Havnt seen that here. Can you reproduce it?

> what happens to the data plotted after it goes beyond the left side of the
> graphs? Couldn't the data be exported so it could be showed in a MRTG
> similar way?

The last 500 samples are kept inside the Radar process (so the plot can be
regenerated if it resized bigger),. After that they fall off.

For permanent logging, see the new StatsLog FILE and StatsLog SQL clauses.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
===
Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radar/
Announcements on radar-announce at open.com.au