(RADAR) my thoughts on radar

Bruno Tiago Rodrigues bofh at netc.pt
Mon Mar 18 11:03:55 CST 2002

Hi guys
I got tired of waiting and installed 3.0beta on our production environment,
along with radar.
So far, I've had RADAR crashed once after opening a plotter properties
window, but I haven't been able to reproduce it... radiator is still stable
(24 hours uptime)

here are my thoughts and wishes:

i'm running two instances on each server (auth and acct), so I've got two
cells for each server. it would be wonderful to have the server description
(like on the plot bar->properties->title) also configurable on the left
frame. somehow, identifying a server as host1-accounting should be better
than just hostname:radar_port

code for hooks and RewriteUsername are showed as ugly CODE and ARRAY perl
references (this is mostly a visual enhancement) and there's got to be a
better way to encapsulate them.

the configuration shown is the active configuration when radar was started
(and not the active configuration, since there might have been a
configuration change and a HUP meanwhile). These kind of events (server
restarts, time lapses matching server downtime, server uptime) could be
logged, somehow...

also, changes made on the server configuration (using the RADAR interface)
seem to be instant, but they are not saved to the configuration file (I
can't think of a way of accomplish this without ruining the original config
file layout). Altough this could be hard to get, it would surely be a nice
feature for RADAR (and would surely change the original scope of the
application, which is monitoring, not administration)...

when messing up with the graphs scale, the screen may get a little garbled
and confused. a "screen reset/clear" feature would sure be handy here
sometimes....

what happens to the data plotted after it goes beyond the left side of the
graphs? Couldn't the data be exported so it could be showed in a MRTG
similar way?

===
Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radar/
Announcements on radar-announce at open.com.au