(RADAR) Comments about Radar

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Sun Mar 17 17:53:15 CST 2002

Hello Christophe,

Thanks for thoughtful (as usual) comments.
Comments below.

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:03, Christophe Wolfhugel wrote:
> Hello Mike & other testers.
>
> I've setup Radar on two on my ADSL ldap servers (one authorization
> server and one accounting server). Here are a few observations.
>
> 1. General window setup : the left and right part of the main Window
>    can't be resized independently, this would be useful.

Added.

> 2. Unreproduceable yet : in a situation where Radar was just connected
>    but not loggedin the Radiator server, I've been unable, even after
>    having given the right login and password to move further (ie expand
>    the configuration or get a real plot) -- sorry I can't reproduce this
>    yet.
Hmmm.
Havnet been able to reproduce that here either.
Was the radar application hung: ie was it refreshing the display, or just not
responding to mouse input?
Might need to run under the perl debugger and get a stack trace to get to the
bottom of that.

> 3. Plot statistics : the X axis indicating date and time as well as the
>    vertical bar scrolls to the left at the indicated interval, but it does
>    not get refreshed (further values for the X axis are not drawn).
>    -> that seemed to happen only where connected and not logged in.

That is the expected behaviour. If there is no connection to the server, no
values are plotted, leading to gaps in the plot where there is no data
available.

> 4. Plotter text at the right of the window, the text gets overriding, for
>    exemple I'm plotting the number of requests per second plus average
>    response time, the text is unreadable.

Not sure what to do about that one. Thoughts anyone?

> 5. Suggestion : I would like to have a very synthetic view of the
>    servers, ie only see those who are down or stuff like this.

So, having added a server, it would only appear in the left list if it was
not connected and logged-in and unstalled? If it was OK, it would disappear
from the left list?

Of course, that would mean that you would not be able to access a healthy
server from the left list, so you could not (for interest sake) add a
plotter, or delete the server?
I wonder if it could be confusing for unfamiliar users?

> Each
>    server uses 3 lines of display in the left window (name, state,
> hostname), could that be reduced ?

Yes, changed to 2 lines. Seems to fit OK. One line would require a wider list
window (or to lose some displayed info)

> 6. Suggestion : have auto-save be the default.

I cant decide about that one. Hugh has put the opposite view. Does anyone
else have a view about the preferred behaviour?

> 7. Crashed radar in a CPU extensive loop (not easily reproductible) :
>    extend some items (+) and while the data is not displayed, select
>    different parameters and right-mouse "Change value" -> this puts
>    Radar is a CPU loop, no exit except kill.

Havent been able to reproduce this one yet. Let me know if you find out more.
What version of perl and Tk do you have?

> That's all for now.

Thanks. Pls let me know if you have more.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
===
Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/radar/
Announcements on radar-announce at open.com.au