(CATOOL) CATool install failure - MySQL has gone away

Paul Kiely pauljkiely at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 20:04:26 CST 2004

I'm attempting to install CATool 1.2.6 on a RedHat 9
system with the following ancillary software installed
on the box:

Authen-Smb-0.91
CGI.pm-3.04
DBD-mysql-2.9003
DBI-1.41
Digest-1.05
Digest-MD5-2.33
mysql-4.0.18

I run the Install script and just after the private
key gets created I get an error message that the
'MySQL server has gone away'.  Here's exactly what
happens:

[root at gomer catool-1.2.6]# sh Install
Preserving existing "catool" user account ...
Creating "/usr/local/catool" directory ...
+ install --directory --mode=755 /usr/local/catool
+ install --directory --mode=755 /usr/local/catool/etc
/usr/local/catool/var
+ install --directory --mode=770 --group=catool
/usr/local/catool/var/tmp
+ install --directory --mode=775 --group=catool
/usr/local/catool/var/crl
Extracting files from "_DISTRIBUTION_FILES.dat"
archive ...
Fixing up file and directory permissions ...
Verifying perl environment ...
v-string in use/require non-portable at
bin/check_perl_mods line 11.
OK!  All required perl modules found.

Commencing install ...
Saving local configuration settings to "etc/catool.cf"
Saving license key to "etc/catoolpriv.cf" ...
Saving installation settings to "etc/.installdefs" ...
Setting up "catool" database user ...
Setting up "catool" database tables ...
Generating Root CA certificate and loading into
database ...
Generating a strong Root CA passphrase ...
Generating Root CA certificate and key ...
Generating a 2048 bit RSA private key
......................+++
.....+++
writing new private key to '/tmp/cakey-pem.9925'
-----
DBD::mysql::db do failed: MySQL server has gone away
at /usr/local/catool/lib/pe
rl/Catool/Database.pm line 36.
Catool::Database::InsertRow: operation failed
(table="ca"): MySQL server has gon
e away at bin/load_ca_cert line 69

I've seen other postings on this list that discuss
this error.  However, those postings seemed to
indicate that the problem was that the MySQL server
was shut down prior to (or during) the install of
CATool.  I don't thing that's my problem since I
verified right before the install that the server was
indeed running.  As a matter of fact, I went through
the install several times making sure each time that
MySQL was up.

Any help is appreciated.

-Paul

Archive at http://www.open.com.au/archives/catool/