[RADIATOR] Problems with ntlm_auth for EAP inner auth after upgrade

Jethro Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Tue Aug 27 16:53:42 UTC 2024

Hi Heikki,

I re-tested adding --allow-mschapv2 to NtlmAuthProg but it made no difference; I think I've tried that with and without before but wasn't consistent in what I wrote in my email.

As a cross-check, I also tested the same eapol_test config against a Radiator server that I did not upgrade yet, and that was fine.

The (inner) username (identity) being supplied is generally of the form username at strath.ac.uk, however the directory is SUBDOMAIN.STRATH.AC.UK so I effectively have:

<AuthBy NTLM>
    Identifier      ITSAuthEAPInnerNTLMbackend
    NtlmAuthProg /usr/local/bin/ntlm_auth --allow-mschapv2 --configfile=/usr/local/etc/smb4.conf --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1 --option="log level=0"
    DefaultDomain SUBDOMAIN.STRATH.AC.UK
    EAPType MSCHAP-V2
    UsernameMatchesWithoutRealm
</AuthBy>

The intention being that UsernameMatchesWithoutRealm strips @strath.ac.uk supplied in the identity, and I think DefaultDomain was there to add the AD domain in.  This seems to work for clients that supply a realm-less inner identity (including if I change my eapol_test config to a realmless identity="username") , but I suspect DefaultDomain is actually redundant here, since Samba knows what the domain is anyway.

I've now added Domain SUBDOMAIN.STRATH.AC.UK explicitly too to the AuthBy, and the samba logs seem to show the right thing being tested:

[2024/08/27 17:38:10.340352,  2, pid=2356]   NTLM CRAP authentication for user [SUBDOMAIN.STRATH.AC.UK]\[username] returned NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

I can test the Domain param is being used by changing it, and now I can get:

[2024/08/27 17:42:18.767691,  2, pid=2356]   NTLM CRAP authentication for user [NONSENSE.STRATH.AC.UK]\[username] returned NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

So I am still puzzled, even when forcing use of Domain, what is different between running ntlm_auth on the CLI, and ntlm_auth through Radiator.

Here's a samba line generated using my same test script sending to the non-upgraded working server:

[2024/08/27 17:46:05.053600,  5, pid=6371]   NTLM CRAP authentication for user [SUBDOMAIN.STRATH.AC.UK]\[username] returned NT_STATUS_OK

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,

Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263.